Moving office is a major undertaking that can be expensive and time-consuming. However, we’ve written a guide to help you.
Plan the Move:
This is arguably the most important stage of any move and reduces potential issues on the day. Here’s what you need to do:
- Choose a relocation date that least interrupts your business.
- Contact us and arrange a date for one our team to conduct a visit to both locations.
Inform staff, suppliers, clients, and whoever will need to know about the relocation of the planned move date and new address. Keeping everyone in the loop will reduce disruption to the business. You can also use this opportunity to contact potential clients about the move and maybe this will open lines of communication. Here are some more ideas:
- Use this opportunity to declutter and decide what you need to take. Any excess items can be sold to help raise money for moving costs.
- Design a floor plan for the new office so you know exactly where to place the office furniture.
- Order and update the address marketing materials.
It’s very important that packing isn’t left to the last minute. Buy packaging well in advanced and start packing non-essential items straight away. Also, make an inventory of every item and label each box with a short description such as files, computer etc…and colour code the boxes indicating where they need to be placed in the new office.
Have at least one member of staff at both locations to direct the removals company (hopefully us!). Here are some more general tips:
- Similar to moving home, check the inventory of the new office and take note of any damages, including photos. This will save a lot of hassle in the future.
- Test electrical equipment such as phone lines and broadband.
- Moving is hard physical work so have plenty of refreshments ready for the staff.
Compare the inventory with everything in the new office, recycle or arrange collection of the packaging materials and enjoy your new premises!