When deciding on which option to choose, it’s important to first understand the differences between a Removal Company and a Man and Van Service.
A Removal Company in Bristol will generally provide a service that consists of a 2 or more man or women team who will remove your furniture from a house, flat or office without you needing to help. They will also provide Goods in Transit Insurance, well trained and experienced staff, a home and office visit or Skype or WhatsApp video call to assess your items that need to be moved, furniture protection such as thick blankets and ratchet straps to brace larger items to the interior of the van or truck, take a deposit to confirm the booking whilst providing a receipt and will probably have a fancy website.
A Man and Van service in Bristol, although cheaper (we’ll get to costs later), will also provide a very similar service but, in many cases, it will be a watered-down version in comparison. We’ve found some of the services you might expect such as Goods in Transit insurance and house or office visits will not come as standard. Also, a lot of man and van services in Bristol operate as a one-man team and you’ll be expected to help move the larger items of furniture but it’s possible they can provide extra staff, just make sure you request it and not expect it. Even with this said, it’s easy to think that a cheap man and van will not to a good job compared to a ‘professional’ removal company but what you need to remember it’s essentially the same job – loading and unloading a van to and from a house or office. Some even do a great job. They want to provide a professional service to increase their business organically by increasing ‘word-of-mouth’ clients. You can get some real bargains out there.
So now we’ve covered the differences between a man with a van and a removal company or firm in Bristol, it’s time to decide which option is best for your move. We’ve devised some questions and answers to help you choose.
How to chose a Removal Company or a Man and Van Service in Bristol
1. Do you have a lot of items to move including large furniture items that need dismantling and reassembling? (When we say a lot, we mean 2 bedroom flat or house and above) Yes – Removal Company. Their staff will be experienced to deal with many different types of furniture and also be fit enough for a full day of heavy lifting, especially when there are stairs involved.
2. Do you need goods in transit insurance? Yes – Removal Company. However, some man and van services also provide insurance but you should ask to view their documents to be sure.
3. Regardless of how much there’s to move, are you willing to help move the items with the removals man to save money? Yes – Man and Van. Please note that you should be in good health (think about your back) and be willing to do hard labour. It’s a tough job and carrying heavy items up and downstairs isn’t easy.
4. Do you need a packing service? Yes – Removal Company. Most Removal Companies will offer this service and it’s extremely popular for people with busy schedules. It allows you to get on with your daily tasks and if you have a family, we strongly recommend this option and most of the time this service comes with free or loaned boxes.
5. Are you planning to self-pack your belongings and in need boxes? Yes. Many Removal Companies will offer loaned boxes when selecting certain removal packages. These boxes are loaned to you before the move but you have to give them back within an agreed time frame. This option can save you money and helps the environment by reducing waste.
6. You only have a few items to move within Bristol, will a man and van be enough for your move? Yes – Man and Van Service. If you only the contents of a room to move such as a bed, mattress, desk and a few boxes, a man and van will suit this move but remember you might be asked to help move the heavier items.
By answering these questions yourself, you will now have a better understanding of which option is best for your move and it’s time to figure out the costs.
By now you’re probably thinking a removal company will charge more than a man with a van in Bristol and that’s correct. From what has been explained earlier in the blog, removal companies in Bristol can provide a more inclusive package compared to a man and van service but that’s not the only reason that makes them more expensive, it’s also their business running costs. These types of companies have overhead costs such as an office, staff on salaries, maintaining a large fleet of vans or trucks and maybe running a storage facility. A man and van, however, doesn’t have all of these extra costs to worry about and is, therefore, able to keep their costs down in comparison.
There’s a classic saying ‘Pay Peanuts and Get Monkeys’. This saying can be applied to any industry but it’s definitely a running theme within the man and van and removal industry in Bristol. For example, if you’re offered a ridiculously good quote for moving your house or office you must bear in mind that the person or company offering that quote did so to fill their calendar until a better job comes along and after they’re offered better-paid work, you’re expendable. Trust us, it’s a horrible situation getting a text from whoever you’ve booked giving you a sorry excuse of why they can’t conduct your move, especially if you receive that text the night before or worse, on the day. With this in mind, shop around and don’t always go for the cheapest offer. In the days of digital marketing, reviews are a significant factor in helping people choose who to pick for their move and don’t just look at the Google reviews or Removal Reviews, you should also search their social media pages and online review websites. Trust the reviews!
As for telling you how much you should pay on average for your move, it’s like telling you how long is a piece of string. To find out costs, search online or in local papers for a man with a van service or removal companies in Bristol and see what they offer and how much they charge.
Now that you know the fundamental differences between both options in Bristol, we hope this blog gives you a better understanding of what type of service works best for you. In a nutshell, if you have a bedroom worth of stuff and maybe up to a 1 bed flat, a man and van option is probably your best option (remember you might have to help) but if you have more than that including dismantling and reassembling furniture, we strongly recommend choosing a removal company in Bristol.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.